The Marine Debris Cross-Team Initiative is holding their Mid-year Meeting at the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus Christi, Texas, on October 8-9, 2019. The meeting will address marine debris and it’s impacts on the Gulf of Mexico. There will be a special hurricane panel and focus on Texas marine debris issues. The objectives of the meeting are to:
- Bring together entities across the Gulf that currently address marine debris.
- Review the goals and objectives of the Marine Debris Cross Team in Governors Action Plan III for Healthy and Resilient Coasts and reflect on accomplishments.
- Become familiar with Hurricane Harvey marine debris impacts, response, and lessons learned.
- Better understand marine debris impacts of Hurricane Harvey and how organizations in Texas responded to marine debris in the storm’s aftermath.
- Become familiar with Texas-specific marine debris research and initiatives.
- Become familiar with each working group’s projects, identify barriers and solutions.
- Discuss how the established mechanism and time frame for working groups to communicate between biannual meetings has gone and how it can be improved.
- Update Tier 2 project plans with current information and develop plans for projects that have not progressed.
Everyone that works on or that has an interest in marine debris is welcome to participate.