As the end of the year approaches and our minds drift off to the gifts of the season, we are reminded of our connection to the Gulf and all that it gives to us. Recreation, jobs, inspiration, food, and energy. This year, the Gulf of Mexico Alliance celebrated these things and more in our 2022 “What the Gulf Gives” social media campaign. Did you know:
- an acre of seagrass supports nearly 40,000 fish and 50 million shrimp and crabs
- 75% of the nation’s shrimp harvest comes from the Gulf
- six of the top 10 U.S. ports are located on our coasts
- oysters clean the water, protect shorelines from erosion, and reduce wave energy
- half of the U.S. oil and gas refining capacity is located along the Gulf Coast
During the giving season though, we know it’s not just about what you get, but what you give. There are many ways you can give back to the Gulf too, and each month we highlighted simple ways you can make a difference as part of our campaign. From limiting your runoff by installing a rain barrel, to picking up trash when padding or walking the coast, giving back to the Gulf is easy. Join us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter throughout December to explore more ways to give back to the Gulf and learn what the Gulf gives to us.
As the New Year comes, we too will be moving on to new things. We will transition from What the Gulf Gives to “Get into the Gulf,” a new campaign focused on hands-on ways to enjoy what the Gulf has to offer. Discover ways you can explore the Gulf of Mexico such as accessible beaches, fishing opportunities, environmental education programs, and so much more.
Come celebrate the Gulf with us.